We'd like to take this opportunity to grant you a brief history of your Bank.
Following an initial stock offering of $16,000 when the bank was chartered on March 1, 1900, Bank of Forest opened its doors for business in February of 1901. Men from families, who would earn state and national recognition, including Hiram Eastland, Sr., and Major R. W. Millsaps, guided the pioneer management of the bank.
A successful first year signaled a bright future for the new bank. Proudly announcing that deposits had exceeded $42,000 and a new profit approaching $500, the bank promptly purchased two brass spittoons and two feather dusters in celebration!
Over the years, subsequent stock offerings were made to increase capital as Bank of Forest continued to grow. By investing in the lives of Scott Countians and following a course of stability, the bank's reputation of strength and integrity was established early in its history.
Mr. J. R. McCravey, the original cashier of the bank, set much of the groundwork for this reputation during his 47 year tenure with the bank. His son, W. D. McCravey, served Bank of Forest as Chairman of the Board for 46 years.
Today, under the leadership of T. E. Walker, Chairman, Bank of Forest's asset base now exceeds $140 million and total capital is now in excess of $20 million. In 2007, the bank expanded its market into Rankin County with the opening of the full service office in Flowood. This expanded central Mississippi presence affords our bank a path of continued growth and success. The bank's performance has been recognized by numerous bank rating companies which place Bank of Forest near the top of its peer group.
Bank of Forest is indeed proud of its heritage and we are dedicated to continuing our commitment to strength and stability today and into the future. We strive to provide the level of service our customers deserve by offering the financial products and services they need with the integrity and soundness they are looking for in a financial institution.